So what actually is Gaslighting??
- Gaslighting is a form of psychological manipulation and abuse that makes people question their own memory, perception, and sanity
- The term comes from a 1938 stage play Gas Light in which a husband attempts to convince his wife and others that she is insane - when he dims the gas lights, he insists she's imagining it
- There are three stages to gaslighting in a relationship: idealisation, devaluation and discard
- In the idealisation stage the victim is whisked off their feet as the gaslighter projects an image of themselves as the perfect mate
- The devaluation stage hits hard: the victim goes from being adored to being incapable of doing anything right, but having tasted the ideal they are desperate to put things right
- Then comes the discard stage where the victim is dropped, ready for the next one - this often happens simultaneously with the idealisation, or grooming, of the next victim